Poor Midnight kitty!!! Sending happy/healthy kitty kidney thoughts...
My CC kitty is getting on in years and I was just thinking last night how much I would miss her if she got sick and passed. :(
The one hopeful thing is the vet said if it WERE genetic, it would be very unlikely he could have recovered this quickly. The fact he is so much better means that him digesting something poisoned is more likely. He also isn't that old of a cat.
if you have any live plants or cut flowers, check them as some of these are poison to animals and humans when eaten.
this was just the first thing that came to mind after reading this post
We did check them and no plants (I only have 2) have been bitten. Craig got me some Stargazer Lilies for our anniversary and we took them out of the house today. They also didn't show any signs of damage on them. I guess there is a slight possibility one of the petals might have fallen off, but would one petal be enough to make him that ill?
Just to be safe, I'm taking the 2 real plants I have to my office. I don't think it could be the plants though as they haven't been disturbed.
Ask the vet and let them know what you have. I know (as an example) the leaves of the tomato plant are poison
I would hate to see you go through more over something silly like a plant leaf
I checked my 2 small houseplants against the toxic list, and they are both safe. The only thing on the list was I did have a vase of Stargazer Lilies, and although they appeared totally undisturbed, they are dangerous to cats, so I will not bring them inside again (which sucks because they are my favorite flower).
You said he licks the walls -- could there be something in the paint? Or maybe something toxic spilled on a wall and dried invisible before you moved in? Maybe there was rat or bug poison sprinkled or sprayed around the house (by the past owners)?
The past owners had 2 little kids and were very careful. We got every cabinet childproofed on move in. :) He's always licked walls and cabinets, and so far is only doing so upstairs and when he feels well. I think it's his way of marking.
The most likely cause was stargazer lilies. It is possible one petal fell off of a flower and he licked it. Lilies are very toxic to cats, but I didn't know that. They are my favorite flower and I've had TONS of them around Ashley and she's never gotten sick.
Oh my. I do hope he pulls through and will be okay.
*hugs* to you
Poor kiddo. I'm glad he's ok.
For wet food check out Spot's Stew
. You can get it at Petco, and our cats LOVE it. They also have a recipe online
if it's too expensive in the cans. It's all organic and really good for them.
If you want dry food we've switched to Castor and Pollux
which our boys love as well. Sheldon picks out the pieces of dried fruit and eats them first. Super cute to see him searching for banana chips!
That is a riot! Banana chips? Thanks for the suggestions.
**good kitty wellness vibes**
i'm so sorry about your poor little kitty.
my dog jazz was poisoned from that tainted dog food from china last fall. she had irreversible kidney failure and had to be put down because she was suffering so much. i still tear up thinking about it. she was the sweetest 11 year old black lab and she was completely healthy at her check up last summer. it was so sudden and devastating. she was completely unable to eat.
i hope midnight is able to make a complete recovery.
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. That is really awful.
I had a cat that had chronic hepatitis infections. I was perplexed -- she was an indoor-only kitty, and hadn't been outside since she'd been rescued by the shelter I adopted her from years before.
The vet could only tell me that indoor cats pick up random things more often than outdoor cats do.
Though I was hearing the other day about a connection between the flame retardant coatings put on carpets and other fabrics, and kidney failure in cats. It may be that we're inadvertently poisoning our fuzzy friends.
You and Midnight are in my prayers.
Thanks. It really scares me that I could be the cause of him getting so sick. He is better today, so I just hope he continues to improve.
yay for kitty feeling better, but I hope you guys figure out what caused it. that would terrify me!
thanks. He is getting better. I just hope he is back to normal soon.
Get them OFF Science Diet!!! Unless you have _no choice_ and it is a prescription food, get them OFF of it!!! SD is horrible food...fillers, crap they can't even digest, and more fat than you can shake a stick at!!
It's about on the same level as Ol'Roy in terms of generic pet foods...so horrible.
Also, the most effected foods were the wet foods. So be UBER careful.
There is one company that I KNOW makes cat food along with their dog food, and is one of only a hand full of companies NOT at all effected by the recalls...Canidae (for cats it's called Felidae (sp?))
Their older animal recipe is fantastic. There are no fillers, no undigestible ingredients, and no fatty, uneeded fillers. It also has 7 (if I'm remembering corectly...5 or 7) natural protein sources.
So after all of this you might want to look into a new food. Canidae/Felidae's wet food was also not effected by the recalls.
I'llkeep my fingers crossed...but I think you are right...sounds like a food issue....